Professional services automation drives performance improvements. In fact, every critical KPI can benefit from improved automation. Just a couple of utilization improvement points in areas ranging from project performance and increased staff leverage, to improvements in billable utilization can bring an additional $1M to the bottom line of a 250 person organization.
However, identifying the right software solution and implementation strategy can be difficult. RTM Consulting brings decades of experience and a proven approach to supporting buying decisions and implementation. Here we tell how we assisted Bentley Systems in driving greater value from its PSA investment.
The Client’s Challenge
Bentley’s rapidly growing professional services organization implements a broad range of solutions for a diverse and complex customer and product base around the world. Having recently deployed a resource management office (RMO) to drive improvement in billable utilization and services profitability, the organization still had concerns that their current technology infrastructure was insufficient.
RTMC provided Bentley with an objective assessment of its current automation and tools. The infrastructure was fragmented, resulting in a high degree of manual effort, insufficient functionality and lacking centralized access to critical operational and strategic organizational data. From this assessment, RTM Consulting was able to provide Bentley with:
- Strategy services including requirements definition, RFP management and PSA vendor selection.
- Implementation services including assisting with process improvement and change management to ensure success from a people, process and technology perspective.
- Optimization services including process alignment, organizational adoption and value realization.
By leveraging RTMC’s PSA Consulting Services, Bentley was able to implement a fully functional PSA solution. The PSA application was made a central part of the technology ecosystem and Bentley redefined processes, data flows and system functionality. As a result, the PSA investment has contributed to very positive results for the PS organization:
- Improved insight into resource forecasting and advance planning.
- Billable utilization continues to improve through a combination of PSA and process improvement. 7 points in the last 2 years.
- Enabling rapid team growth: Last three years, services revenue up 58%, consulting headcount increased by over 100 HC.
- With increased efficiency in project administration, reporting and invoicing, focus has now shifted from tactical activities to strategic, value added activities.